Monday, June 17, 2024

Good Bad Girl

Good Bad Girl
by Alice Feeney


Blurb:
Twenty years after a baby is stolen from a stroller, a woman is murdered in a care home. The two crimes are somehow linked, and a good bad girl may be the key to discovering the truth.

Edith may have been tricked into a nursing home, but at eighty-years-young, she’s planning her escape. Patience works there, cleaning messes and bonding with Edith, a kindred spirit. But Patience is lying to Edith about almost everything.

Edith’s own daughter, Clio, won’t speak to her. And someone new is about to knock on Clio’s door…and their intentions aren’t good.

With every reason to distrust each other, the women must solve a mystery with three suspects, two murders, and one victim. If they do, they might just find out what happened to the baby who disappeared, the mother who lost her, and the connections that bind them.

My Reaction:
I listened to the audiobook version of this novel.  Actually, I believe I've listened to the audio version of all of this author's novels, so far.  ...And I think I may have enjoyed this more than most of the author's other books that I've read or listened to.  

I predicted some of the twists before they were revealed, but it was still an interesting (though bittersweet) story.  It's less of a true thriller than some of her other work, but to be honest, I didn't mind that. 

There's a murder in the book, but it feels like a subplot to the main story.  You almost don't care what happens with that part of the book, really—or at least it wasn't my main focus.  This novel is more of an emotional relationship drama than an edge-of-your-seat thriller drama.  Normally, that might be disappointing, when an author is known more for the thriller genre, but I ended the book feeling satisfied with the story.