Saturday, August 24, 2013

"The Spring Before I Met You"

"The Spring Before I Met You"
by Sarah Rees Brennan

This is one of two "prequel short stories" that go along with Unspoken.  This one is about Jared, while the second is about Kami.  I don't know if you're "supposed" to read them before you read the novel... They come first, chronologically, but I'm not sure you'll really enjoy or even completely understand them if you haven't read Unspoken.

My reaction? 
Eh... It was alright.  I see why the author decided to tell the story through a new character's eyes-- an art teacher filling in for the absent guidance counselor at Jared's Californian high school, who gives us an idea of how he seems to an "outsider"-- but I really missed the internal conversations between Jared and Kami.  ...And it's sad.  Still, if you enjoyed the first book and are waiting for the next one, it's something to read...