Saturday, June 7, 2014

"The Monster in the Mirror"

"The Monster in the Mirror"
by M.J.A. Ware


Synopsis:
Could there be a hidden room somewhere in your house? And just what would you find lurking there?

Nate, his little sister, and best buddy Dan, stumble upon a hidden room during a sleep-over. What they find inside is anything but friendly.

My Reaction:
I got this as a freebie on Amazon some time ago, and when I finished the last book, found it already loaded on the Kindle.  Convenient and short, so why not?  I hadn't remembered it was a short story for "younger readers", so my expectations were entirely off the mark.

I think a young YA (pre-teen? "tween"?) reader might enjoy this story.  For me, it was a little too short and rushed, and there were many things that could've been fleshed out to make it a stronger story.  However, I'm not the target audience...  The kernel of the story is interesting, though, and it's definitely creepy. 

I think the ebook includes a bonus story or two, but I don't think I'll bother.