Saturday, July 19, 2014

Cold Comfort Farm

Cold Comfort Farm
by Stella Gibbons


Publisher's Blurb:
...a wickedly funny portrait of British rural life in the 1930s. Flora Poste, a recently orphaned socialite, moves in with her country relatives, the gloomy Starkadders of Cold Comfort Farm, and becomes enmeshed in a web of violent emotions, despair, and scheming, until Flora manages to set things right.


My Reaction: 
(This was shared read.  As such, there are no detailed notes.)

We saw the 1990s film adaptation years ago-- so long ago that I had only the vaguest memories of it.  However, I feel safe saying that the book is better.

What higher praise can you give a book than to say that it made you laugh (in the intended places)?  Well, we laughed!
 
(A couple of slightly spoilery things follow, so if you want to remain innocent of all spoilage, sneak out the side door now.)  



At times, I could have wished for more explanation--  Flora's "rights"!  The exact nature of the "something nasty in the woodshed"!  How did Flora's conversation with Aunt Ada Doom begin?!  (Yes, I realize that we aren't meant to know those things and that they were very intentionally left out.  But I still want to knoooooow!)


...It was just fun to read.  I'm satisfied.