Thursday, December 4, 2014

"Thursday Evenings"

"Thursday Evenings"
by E.F. Benson


Synopsis:
In this amusing ghost story, a persistent spirit keeps the Victorian Golden Age alive from beyond the grave.


My Reaction:
I found this little ghost story a pleasant read.  The touches of humor were a reminder that this is the same author who penned the Lucia series. 

I looked up "The Lost Chord" on YouTube out of curiosity.  I guess it's okay, but I don't hear anything in it that would inspire someone to make it her "calling card" song.  (I prefer a stronger, more repetitive melody.  This hymn kind of wanders all over the place.)


Sidenote:
This is the first thing I read from start to finish on my new Kindle Paperwhite!  (I'm also reading The Provincial Lady Goes Further on it, but I'd already read over 70% of that one before switching devices.)