Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Assorted Short Stories

I "consumed" all these in audio format-- and in rapid succession-- so I thought I'd group a few of them together into a single entry.

The first few I found via Forgotten Classics.


"The Night Wire"
by H.F. Arnold

This "weird tale" gave me a shiver or two, but I found the end a bit of a head-scratcher.  I guessed part of the "twist" (as I guess you'd call it), but don't quite know what to make of it!  Such is the very nature of most of these types of stories, I suppose.  Recommended. 


"The Toll-House"
by W.W. Jacobs

(This one was written by the author of "The Monkey's Paw", by the way, which I still remember reading back in middle school... A true classic.)  I think I was somewhat distracted as I listened to this story.  I had to rewind a few times to compensate for divided attention.  It's creepy, to be sure, but I can see why the author is better known for "The Monkey's Paw". 


"The Judge's House"
by Bram Stoker

This was so familiar that I think I must've read it before... An eerie tale that gave me a nightmare about a rat.  (...What kind of recommendation is that?!)   



Then I listened to a couple from a LibriVox collection-- Short Ghost and Horror Collection 010.


"Ancient Lights"
by Algernon Blackwood

I found this story interesting in light of somewhat similar themes from The Willows.  However, whereas the supernatural forces in The Willows feel sinister and outright terrifying, those in "Ancient Lights", while best left alone (just in case), seem somewhat more playful (in a capricious, could-easily-decide-to-torment/kill-you-on-a-whim sort of way).


"Sister Maddelena"
by Ralph Adams Cram

A fairly predictable tale.  Perfectly serviceable in its way, but not something I expect to contemplate or return to, in particular.