Friday, July 3, 2015

Lucia in London

Lucia in London 
by E.F. Benson


Blurb:
Using her best social-climbing instincts and refusing to be embarrassed, Lucia sets out to conquer London and mingle with the beau monde. Soon a secret group of "Luciaphiles" springs up; the social climbers who make up its rank never tire of watching her get into and out of all kinds of trouble.

My Reaction:
This go around, I'm reading this series aloud with Donald, and I believe I'm enjoying them even more than the first time I read them!  They're just wonderful.

For much of this book, Lucia feels less like the main character, while Georgie takes on a bigger role-- but no matter who's the focus at the moment, there are always plenty of laughs.

SPOILER to follow...


Knowing what's coming next (in Mapp and Lucia) made parts of this book a little bittersweet, which feels almost strange, considering how amusing they are... But as much as I look forward to a return of the Tillingites, it's a bit sad to think of leaving behind "poor Daisy" and (most of) the rest of Riseholme-- and when Pepino becomes ill near the end of this book I can't help but remember a certain event described in the beginning of the next book...  ~sniffle~

(There.  The SPOILER's all done!)


...But all that aside, I'm looking forward to seeing Miss Mapp and Lucia meet (again).  It's been long enough since my first read that I've forgotten a lot of it.  We'll read at least a book or two by a different author before returning to this series-- but I'm already anticipating Mapp and Lucia!