Friday, March 19, 2021

Snowflakes

Snowflakes
by Ruth Ware

Blurb:
Leah has spent her formative years isolated on a remote island with her family. But their quiet existence, far from the devastated mainland, is cracking. Father, sensing a coming threat, demands that a wall be built. As the stone blockade rises, Father’s paranoia escalates. So does Leah’s dread that the violence the family left behind has found its way to their sanctuary.


My Reaction:
The audio version of this short story was available for free, and I've enjoyed some of the author's novels, so I decided to give it a try. 

...Well, I guess it was one way to spend some time while washing dishes and cleaning the kitchen, but I don't like the story.  

Problems:

--Ugh, political overtones!  No thanks!

--Predictable "twist".

--Depressing.  (I won't get into spoiler territory, but it wasn't my cup of tea.)

--The little girl (? how old was she, exactly?) and her singing just annoyed me. I must be a cold-hearted so-and-so, but yuck.  Especially in audiobook form, that was irritating!


At least it was short, right?!  I doubt I'll bother with the other stories in this collection (from other authors).