Friday, April 9, 2021

Incarnate

Incarnate
by Ramsey Campbell


Blurb:
Five people are brought from London to participate in a controlled experiment studying prophetic dreaming. But the results are so ominous that the program is cut short.

Now a monstrous presence is in the subjects' lives, a creature created by their group dream eleven years ago, drawing them inexorably into its awful vortex.

My Reaction:
I'm disappointed!  This could have been so much better.  The basic idea of the book has potential, but it's far too long, lacks focus, and fails to deliver. 

So much of the book crawls at a snail's pace, and much of it is inconsequential or repetitious.  There's a powerful sensation of waiting for something, anything to happen.  Everything feels nebulous in this novel, soft-focus and hazy.  I thought that perhaps this was intentional and specific to this novel, given that it is about dreams.  Perhaps the author was trying to evoke a dreamlike atmosphere, because there are definitely times when he makes the reader question what is and isn't actually happening.  However, I've since read a review or two that indicates that this is simply the author's typical writing style.  (Apparently he's a master of the short story, but I'm not sure I've ever read anything of his before this.  I'd look for a short story before I'd venture to try another of his novels.)

I kept hoping that things would come together, but when the book draws to a close, it's more of a headscratcher than a satisfying conclusion.  I want things spelled out in a bit more detail than that.  A little too facile, and a little less impressive than I'd hoped.  Very disappointing!  



SPOILERS FOLLOW!


So much of the book was frustrating to read!  I can only take so much of hating Eve (and Helen/Nell, to be honest).  I grew weary of watching the blob-thing tormenting poor Geoffrey.  (Incidentally, the man must've been a saint to put up with the infuriating Joyce for so many years!)  And don't even get me started on Danny Swain.  (Yuck!)  In the end, it felt like a whole lot of frustration for nothing, because the ending was so unrewarding.  Blah.  

I'm also annoyed that two of the characters I actually liked (Susan and Geoffrey) died/were lost in the dream.  One more layer of disappointment!

At least it's done.  I can't wait to read something different, after that long slog!