Friday, September 17, 2021

Seven Lies

Seven Lies
by Elizabeth Kay


Blurb:
It all started with just one little lie. But we all know that it never ends there. Because, of course, one lie leads to another…

Growing up, Jane and Marnie shared everything. They knew the other’s deepest secrets. They wouldn’t have had it any other way. But when Marnie falls in love, things begin to change.

Because Jane has a secret: she loathes Marnie’s wealthy, priggish husband. So when Marnie asks if she likes him, Jane tells her first lie. After all, even best friends keep some things to themselves. If she had been honest, then perhaps her best friend’s husband might still be alive today…

For, of course, it’s not the last lie. In fact, it’s only the beginning…

My Reaction:
Hm.  This was good in parts, but I was hoping for more.  The rather slow, meandering pace (never a great thing in a "thriller") didn't do this book any favors, and I felt a bit let down by a less-than-satisfying Big Moment conclusion.  

The protagonist is... I guess she's more sympathetic, in a way, than she has any right to be.  At least, I think I felt some twisted sympathy for her at times, when I was reading the book.  Looking back, now, after a few days, I'm much less sympathetic.  More weary of her than anything else.  She's self-destructive, but it's not just herself she destroys.  She's been dealt a crappy hand by life, but she amplifies her misfortunes and unhappiness by making poor choices (to put it mildly).  Her life didn't have to spiral out of control like this.  It's deeply depressing, if you try to care about any of these characters at all.

Also, Marnie (the supposed "goodness and light" counterbalance to the darker character of Jane) is irritating.  On the surfaces, she's perfect, but... Is it just me?  I think she turns into a bit of a user (after a significant life event that I won't name here, in the interests of avoiding a spoiler), expecting Jane to be available to clean or come to her aid whenever it's convenient for Marnie, then dropping Jane the instant she's gotten what she needed.  Yes, she's understandably distracted by this major life event, but she's making time for other people in her life.  And yes, Jane hasn't really been a true, sane friend to Marnie by the time all this happens, but Marnie doesn't know that, so it hardly excuses the hot-and-cold act.  Ugh. 

I hated that every single character seemed to have some tragic backstory.  Widowhood soon after marriage, miscarriage, infidelity, dementia, cancer, anorexia, on and on.  Just one terrible, sad thing after another.  Real life has enough of that.  I don't want tragedy after tragedy in my reading, too, thanks so much.  (This really wasn't the right book for me...)

As I mentioned before, I was disappointed by the Big Moment; it felt slightly silly and anti-climactic, especially after it was teased/telegraphed/hinted at by the (weirdly inconsistent) obsessive journalist character.  It also didn't help that I'd figured out who Jane was addressing quite a while beforehand, so that wasn't a surprise, either. 



--SPOILER ALERT-- 

I found it strange that the police so easily accepted that Charles fell down the stairs and died instantly of a broken neck.  Wasn't there plenty of evidence that he'd been lying there, alive, for hours?  He was bleeding, right?  Unless I'm mistaken, people don't bleed the same way after they die, so a halfway-decent forensics team would've spotted that and looked more closely.  I'd have found it more realistic if it had been presented that they decided he'd fallen, injured himself, been unconscious for a while, eventually struggled to stand/move, and had slipped and fallen a second time with enough force to then break his neck.  

Also, what kind of weird "luck" does Jane have, to be presented with this golden opportunity to take out her nemesis?  It's a mere week after her dramatic confrontation with Charles and Marnie, and then this just... happens?  Hm.  Okay, if you say so!

--END SPOILER--



My final word: This book had some interesting ideas and was well-written in parts, but it didn't quite completely come together for me.  I think it would have been more effective if it had been more tightly edited, and it probably works better for people who don't mind a steady diet of misery.