Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Wyrd Sisters

Wyrd Sisters
by Terry Pratchett

Blurb:
Kingdoms wobble, crowns topple and knives flash on the magical Discworld as the statutory three witches meddle in royal politics. The wyrd sisters battle against frightful odds to put the rightful king on the throne. At least, that's what they think...


My Reaction:
(Shared read with Donald.  If it's Wodehouse or Pratchett, count on it that it's a shared read.)

It felt like this book went on for-ev-er... And that's not usually a good sign, is it?  I can't believe it was only 265 pages, honestly.  It felt like 300+, easily.  I'm not sure what the problem was... Part of it is probably not really the fault of the book at all.  Our schedules, lately, haven't always been conducive to regular time for reading together, so of course the book seemed to drag a bit.  (It probably didn't help, either, that we took a long break in the middle of this book to start and finish another novel...)  However, I'm sad to say that I didn't look forward to resuming this read, much of the time (though once I was reading, I liked most of it well enough).  I think it could've used some editing down.  A little streamlining.

That occasional feeling of "how long is this thing, anyway?" aside, I particularly enjoyed the witches' conversations-- and Hwel's "inspirations" were fun, too.  (Humorous dialogue is one of my favorite "flavors".  Referential humor is pretty high on the list, too, so long as I'm in on the references.)  I doubt anything in the book will stay with me beyond another few days-- but it was still a pleasant way to pass some time.