Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Aunts Aren't Gentlemen

Aunts Aren't Gentlemen, by P.G. Wodehouse

(I almost forgot that we'd finished this, we'd been reading it for so long.) 

What is there to say about this book?  It was your typical formulaic yet perennially amusing Wodehouse, but it felt like Jeeves was absent throughout almost the whole story, so if you're a fan of Jeeves or scenes of Jeeves/Wooster interaction, you may find this one somewhat lacking.  It doesn't stand out as a special favorite, but let's be honest-- even non-special-favorite Wodehouse is notably superior to most of the junk churned out these days.  (IMHO.)

It strikes me that I've never read any Wodehouse solo.  Wodehouse is so perfect for reading aloud that it almost seems a shame to read it silently to yourself.  I'll have to try, sometime, though.  I wonder if I'll find it quite as funny on my own...